September - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, September 12, 2016, at Sam Boardman Elementary in Boardman, OR.
Delegations: MCEA – Brenda Kittelson; OSEA – Kathie Goad
Early Graduation Request – Brandy Quezada from IJSHS presented an early graduation request to the Board. Brandy will have all credit requirements met at the end of the 2016/17 school year. The Board approved the request.
Travel Request – Riverside Cheerleaders – Kirsten Taylor, Captain of the cheer squad requested permission for the captains (and coaches) to travel to Florida to perform in the Varsity Spirit Spectacular at Walt Disney World December 1-4, 2016. Kirsten presented a slide show of last year’s captains who performed in the Varsity Spirit Spectacular in December of 2015. The Board approved the request.
Parent Involvement – Sam Boardman Elementary – Principal Sarah Kimmell presented a power point introducing this year’s focus – UNITY, Together We Inspire. Several PTO members’ shared their vision of the organization and expressed their interest in increasing the number of families involved in school activities.
The Consent agenda was approved as presented.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of August 15, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: None;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: BBAA, BBC, BDC, BD/BDA, BFC, ECACB, IGDJ, JBB;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: IGDJ-AR(3);
- Resolutions #2016-17-01 & #2016-17-02 – Unanticipated Revenues
- Enrollment – Good news, enrollment is up from this time last year. We currently have 2275 students enrolled but anticipate that to change with 10 days drops.
- Staffing – All teaching positions have been filled. There are some classified positions that remain to be filled. Mid-Columbia Bus Company needs drivers. If you know of anyone interested they can contact us and we will put them in touch with Midco.
- Technology – We have new devices. We have 1280 Chromebooks, 400 I devices, 900 computers, 10 3D printers, 10 3D welders, 2,580 mobile devices. We are closer and closer to one to one devices for students.
- Wraparound Services – Mr. Dirksen presented a power point explaining all facets of services provided by the wraparound team.
- Safety Summit – October 13th the district team will meet to review safety plans. October 14th, John Michael Keys will present at 9:00am and 1:00pm at the BMCC Theater.
- Oster Professional Group – Mitch Saul gave a positive report/feedback related to the recent audit.
- OSAA Eligibility Appeals Board Vacancy – Board members interested in being on the OSAA Appeals Board should let Dirk or Cheryl know.
- OSBA Fall Regionals – The OSBA Fall Regional meeting is September 28, 2016 in Pendleton. Dinner will be at 6:00pm and the meeting at 6:30pm.
- OSBA Annual Convention – The OSBA Annual Convention will be November 10-13, 2016 in Portland.
- Appoint Budget Committee Member to Position #2 – Jill Parker is interested in serving on the Budget Committee. The Board approved Jill to serve in Position #2.
- Healthy and Safe Schools Plan – The State Board of Education adopted new administrative rules requiring each school district to develop a “Healthy and Safe Schools Plan”. A draft of the MCSD plan was presented to the board.
- OSBA Fall Regional Meeting – September 28, 2016, Pendleton
- OSBA 2016 Annual Convention – November 10-13, 2016, Portland
- Next Board Meeting, October 10, 2016, AC Houghton Elementary