October - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, October 10, 2016, at A.C. Houghton Elementary School in Irrigon, OR.
MCEA – None; OSEA – Kathie Goad
ACH Music Program – Mrs. Evanoff explained what her focus in music is at this time: Grades K-1 are working on steady beat, pitch matching and movement; Grades 2-3 are working on music basics, instruments and notes; Grades 4,5,6 are learning to apply basics to instruments, folk dance and movement, history (composures and modern day artists). Mrs. Evanoff has started a keyboarding program through the use of box top funds. Students showcased some of what they are learning through a dance.
The Consent agenda was approved as presented.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of September 12, 2016 and the work session of August 15, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: GCPD;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: None;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: None;
- Professional Development - Friday, September 7th, Steve Ventura presented to licensed staff on the topic of Student Engagement. Mr. Dirksen received positive feedback from staff regarding ideas and concepts they can take back and utilize in their classroom.
- OSBA Fall Regional Meeting - A highlight of the meeting was discussion around amending the constitution to require the legislature to provide adequate funding to meet the Quality Education Model. Results from the Oregon Rising survey were shared with 10,894 surveys completed, 97% of Oregonians believe a good education is “Very Important” to the success of Oregon kids and 94% believe it is “Very Important” to the future of Oregon.
- IMESD Regional Board Tour – IMESD will hold a Regional Board Tour, October 18th with visits to Ione SD (ESD Services), Heppner Elementary (Early Learning Services), Riverside Jr/Sr High School (Pathways to Success) and Irrigon Jr/Sr High School (Pathways to Success).
- Safety Training – October 13th Safety Officers and district representatives will meet to review final plans. October 14th John Michael Keys (I Luv U Guys) will hold two presentations (9:00-11:00 am and 1:00-3:00 pm) in the BMCC Theatre.
- Mid-Columbia Bus – Midco Bus Company continues to be short on drivers. The district continues to support and promote their recruitment efforts and asks that you let anyone who might be interested in driving bus to contact Midco Bus Company.
- OSBA Annual Convention – The OSBA Annual Convention is November 10-13, 2016 in Portland. Becky, Brian and Thad will be attending.
- Healthy and Safe Schools Plan – The final draft is complete and will be sent to the state. The district has taken a proactive approach and has been testing water and radon levels ahead of required deadlines.
- November Board Meeting - The Board meeting is scheduled for November 14, 2016 which is the districts observance of Veteran’s Day. Board members will check their calendars and consider moving the meeting to Tuesday, November 15, 2016. If the meeting is moved, a notice will be placed in the newspaper.
- End of Quarter 1 – October 27, 2016
- Parent/Teacher Conferences – November 3-4, 2016
- OSBA 2016 Annual Convention – November 10-13, 2016, Portland
- Veteran’s Day Holiday Observed – No School – November 14, 2016
- Next Board Meeting, November 14, 2016, Windy River Elementary