June - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, June 13, 2016, at the District Office, Heppner, OR.
- MCEA – None; OSEA – None
Presentation: George Mendoza – Early Childhood
Mr. Mendoza presented information to the board regarding the district’s collaboration with Umatilla/Morrow Head Start to implement a preschool program in Boardman/Irrigon working with 4-year olds. The district is working with Heppner Daycare to help provide the same program through the daycare. The goal is to provide preschool services to those 4-year olds who are not currently attending a preschool program. Children would attend preschool 2 days a week. Bussing is not provided.
Consent Agenda – Consent agenda was approved as presented.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of May 9, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: GBMA, GCBDD/GDBDD, IGDF, IKF, JED, JFC, JG, JHCDA, GBM, IGBBA;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: EFA, GBEC, IL, KGB;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: EFAA-AR, GCBDC/GDBDC-AR, GCDA/GDDA-AR, DJC-AR;
- Approved Annual Organizational Details for 2016/17;
- Approved Successor Agreement with Morrow Co. Rec District for 2016/17;
- Approved Resolution #2015-16-10 Increase in District Meals Prices for 2016/17;
- Approved Resolution #2015-16-11 Committed Funds;
- Approved Resolution #2015-16-12 Authorizing the County Treasurer to Invest District Funds
- School Security Forum – Mr. Dirksen discussed the upcoming School Security/I Love You Guys work sessions coming up in August and October. The district is looking for board members, district staff, local law enforcement, teachers and administration from each community to attend.
- College Credits – In 2011/12 approximately 396 college credits were received; this year, 1,816 credits were awarded and the district anticipates that number to go up as students finish up classes. This is impressive! The district continues to encourage students to achieve!
- Graduations – All graduations were fantastic! We had many board members with children graduating this year.
- Lead Testing – The district has scheduled lead testing of drinking fountains and food prep areas in all district buildings to begin June 22nd. We should have results in a week to ten days.
- Tech Grants – The district received many tech grants and are happy to report that all grants were funded at some level. The district is now saturated with Chrome-books and iPads in classrooms. We are close to one device per student.
- OSBA Summer Board Conference – Board members planning to attend the conference should let Mrs. Costello know.
- 2016-17 Budget – Approved Resolution #2015-16-13 to adopt the 2016-17 budget in the amount of $39,312,210; to Make Appropriations; to Impose the ad valorem tax in the amount of $4.0342 per $1000 of assessed value for permanent rate tax, at the rate of $1.0000 per $1000 of assessed value for local option tax and in the amount of $375,000 for debt service on general obligation bonds, and, to Categorize the Tax.
- Summer School – June 14-30, 2016
- OSBA Summer Board Conference – July 15-17, 2016
- Administration Returns – August 1, 2016
- 2016/17 Staff In-Service – August 22-25, 2016
- Students Begin – August 29, 2016
- Next Board Meeting – HES – August 8, 2016
The board met in executive session to discuss real estate.