February - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, February 13, 2017, at Heppner Jr/Sr High School in Heppner, OR.
MCEA – Dave Fowler; OSEA – Kathie Goad
Mitch Saul, Oster Professional Group – Presentation of Audit Results - Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2016. Mr. Saul reported no deficiencies in any areas of the audit.
Early Graduation Request – Chandlyr Crum, MEC. Mr. Bensen presented Chandlyr’s request and shared that she is on track and will have all requirements complete to graduate with the Class of 2017. The Board approved the request.
The Consent agenda was approved.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of December 12, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: EFAA, GCL/GDL, IGACA, ING, JECBD, KGB;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: None;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: None;
- Heppner Jr/Sr High School Shop Open House – Dave Fowler and Beth Dickenson updated the Board on the upgrades made to the shop facility with CTE Grant funds. They welcomed everyone to stop by and see the upgrades.
- Travel Request – Mrs. Dickenson requested permission for Heppner students to attend the Washington Leadership Conference in Washington D.C. and the National FFA Convention in the fall. The Board gave a tentative approval. Students will attend a future Board meeting to make a formal request.
- Inclement Weather Closures - North end schools have closed 7 days and South end schools have closed 5 days due to inclement weather. North end schools will make up 4 days and South end schools will make up 3 days beginning in April.
- Staffing 2017/18 – As the district continues to grow, staffing will be adjusted to accommodate growth. There will be 2 new elementary teachers – 1 at WRE and 1 at IES; 2 new classified – 1 at WRE and 1 at IES; 1 K-6 Online Teacher/7-12 Advisor for the district; 1 Newcomers Center Teacher for the district; 1 new Vice Principal position at IES; and Mr. Waite will be promoted to Principal at HES.
- Graduation Rates – Mr. Dirksen congratulated the district for an 85% graduation rate which is up from last year. The state average is 75% and the national average is 82%.
- Board Member Positions – There will be three Board member positions coming up for election. The deadline to file is March 16th.
- Graduation Requirements – Policy IKFA – Exceptions to Four Year Attendance Requirements for Graduation was reviewed. A proposal to require students requesting early graduation to meet all requirements of a standard diploma (28 credits) was discussed. A basic diploma (24 credits) would no longer qualify for early graduation. No changes would be made for an honors diploma.
- 2017/18 Calendar Options – Two calendar options were presented to the Board (Pre Labor Day and Post Labor Day starts) for the 2017/18 school year. The Board approved both options to be sent to staff for voting.
- Resolution #2016-17-07 - IMESD Local Service Plan – The 2017/18 IMESD Local Service Plan was present to the Board and the resolution was approved.
- Resolution #2016-17-08 – Unanticipated Revenue – The Irrigon Mat Club donated $800 to the IJSHS Wrestling Program. The resolution was approved.
- Resolution #2016-17-09 – Open Enrollment – The Board approved this annual resolution related to Policy JECB -Non-residents.
- Food Service RFP Committee – In need of two Board members to serve on this committee.
- 2016/17 School Calendar/School Closures – The Board approved inclement weather make-up days to be April 7, 14, 28 and May 12.
- School Board Recognition – Mr. Dirksen thanked the Board for their dedicated service to the students, staff and stakeholders of Morrow County School District.
- Presidents Day Holiday – February 20, 2017
- Next Board Meeting – March 13, 2017 – Irrigon Elementary School