December - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, December 12, 2016, at Irrigon Jr/Sr High School in Irrigon, OR.
MCEA – Brenda Kittelson; OSEA – None
Jeff Searles, IJSHS Advanced Computers - Jeff and students (Keegan Krough, Tanner Mills, Jared Stanger and Brandyn Marlow) discussed and demonstrated what students are learning in advanced computer programming. Mr. Searles explained that students are programming BOEbots from Parallax. The programming language is PBASIC. They use sensor input to remote control the robots, let them roam autonomously, or a mix of the two. The flying robots are Blade Nano QX quadcopters and they are using them to perfect skills before they work on flying the bigger Parallax Elev-8 quadcopters.
Early Graduation Requests - Ivonne Navarro and Luis Solano, both juniors at RJSHS are requesting to graduate with the Class of 2017. Both students are on track and will have all graduation requirements complete at the end of the 16/17 school year. Mrs. Shimer and parents support their requests. The Board approved each request.
Travel Request - Irrigon FFA student representatives (Nikki Phillips, Ethan Greer and Brooke Tolar), requested for the FFA to travel to Indianapolis, Indiana to attend National Convention in October 2017. The group also plans to travel to Nashville and take in tourist activities. The Board approved the request.
The Consent agenda was approved.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of November 15, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: None;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: GBA, KG-Form(2);
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: GBA-AR, GCPD-AR;
- Enrollment – Enrollment in December is interesting with students leaving for the Holidays but we are up 42 students from this time last year.
- Measure 98 - With the passage of Measure 98, we are looking at receiving additional funds to be spent on CTE.
- Housing in Boardman – Boardman is looking at a new 240-unit apartment complex. This will have an impact on growth in our schools.
- Online Learning – In collaboration with MCSD, Pendleton, La Grande and IMESD, we are exploring an online program for students. We are in a competition with other programs for students wishing to take classes online. These students would also have the opportunity to take elective classes on campus.
- Early Childhood – We are looking to expand our program next year. Looking at having students attend 1/2 day every day.
- Holidays – Mr. Dirksen wished everyone Happy Holidays.
- Resolutions – The Board approved 3 resolutions. All were for unanticipated revenue: $20,000 Wildhorse Grant for the WRE music program; $20,000 donation from Columbia River Technologies for the IJSHS press box project; $20,000 donation from ConAgra to the IJSHS band program for their trip to Hawaii.
- Superintendent Evaluation Process – The superintendent evaluation process will start in January with a Board work session. The final evaluation will be reported to the public at the March Board meeting.
- IES Robotics – Addie Cole, IES Robotics Coach shared with the Board the success the IES Robotics team is having. They have qualified for state competition January 14-15, 2017.
- Christmas Break – December 16, 2016 – January 1, 2017
- End of Semester 1 – January 12, 2017
- Martin Luther King Holiday – January 16, 2017
- Next Board Meeting – February 13, 2017 – Heppner Jr/Sr High School