August - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, August 15, 2016, at the District Office, Heppner, OR.
Election of Board Officers:
Becky Kindle was re-elected as Board Chair and Brain Kollman was re-elected as Vice Chair for the 2016-17 school year.
MCEA – Dave Fowler; OSEA – Kathie Goad\
Brenda Kittelson – Parent Math Night
Mrs. Kittelson, Mrs. Shane and Miss Hodgdon will be hosting a parent math night September 13th in Irrigon, September 27th in Boardman and October 4th in Heppner. The program will be designed to teach parents how the new math curriculum works. Parents will learn about standards, see demonstrations of concepts, participate in activities, and receive handouts and resources. Daycare will be provided. Mrs. Kittelson invited Board members to attend to see what the program is all about and what the district focus is related to math.
Colin Podelnyk and Jake Gora – McKinstry
Colin and Jake presented an update on HVAC and Controls. Colin explained that McKinstry has been working with the district for 2 years on the HVAC project. Projects are based on energy savings to the district. They have toured all district facilities identifying issues and work to be done to convert systems to more efficient energy saving systems. They will present findings to the district in early October and schedule repairs for Christmas break and Spring break.
The Consent agenda was approved as presented.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of June 13, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: BBAA, BBC, BDC, BD/BDA, BFC, ECACB, IGDJ, JBB;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: GBM, GBMA, GCBDD/GDBDD, IGBBA, IGDF, IKF, JED, JFC, JG, JHCDA;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: IGBBA-AR, JHCD/JHCDA-AR;
- Hiring Update: Mr. Dirksen provided the Board with a status update on current open positions.
- Safety Summit: The first meeting has occurred and all agencies involved have agreed on a universal language. The next meeting is October 14th with John Michael Keys as the presenter at the BMCC Theatre. There will be two presentations: 9:00-11:00am and 1:00-3:00pm.
- ORVED: The district is transitioning this year from Greenways to ORVED. ORVED is an ODE approved program.
- Lead Testing: All district facilities have been tested and there are no buildings reporting levels above the standard. There will be an OAR coming out with clarity regarding testing and timing of testing.
- Riverside Jr/Sr High School: Mr. Dirksen congratulated Riverside for receiving the US News Bronze Award.
- CTE: Upgrades are almost complete in all communities. There will be a walkthrough of the Heppner facility at the next meeting held in Heppner.
- Lead Testing Report: There were no elevated Lead levels reported in district facilities.
- Adoption of 2016/17 Board Goals: The Board adopted the 2016/17 goals as presented.
- ACH Tennis Courts: The City of Irrigon has approached the district with a proposal for the district to donate the property the tennis courts are on to the City of Irrigon with the understanding they would maintain the courts and the district would have first priority to them. With approval from the Board, Mr. Dirksen will seek input from the public regarding the request.
- Oster Professional Group: The Board received a questionnaire from Oster Professional Group regarding the annual audit.
- District-wide In-Service: Mrs. Kindle plans to attend district in-service August 22nd.
- Resolution #2015-16-14: The Board approved the resolution for unanticipated revenue of $25,000 from RDO to WRE for their playground structure.
- Radon Testing: The Board approved the Radon Testing Plan. The plan is required to be in place by September 1st and testing must be done by 2021. The District will move forward with testing and plans to test lead and radon on a five-year cycle.
- 2016/17 Staff In-Service – August 22-25, 2016
- Students Begin – August 29, 2016
- No School – Monday September 5, 2016, Labor Day Holiday
- Next Board Meeting – SBE – September 12, 2016