April - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, April 17, 2017, at Morrow Education Center in Irrigon, OR.
MCEA – Brenda Kittelson; OSEA – Kathie Goad
Jeff Searles – IJSHS Band Trip
Mr. Searles, Jacob Dunn, McKenna Kendrick and Kaleb Kendrick shared some of their experiences from the band trip to Hawaii over spring break. Students worked with composures, groups from other countries and collaborated with a college from Australia. The band won a Bronze medal for their performance. The group also had an opportunity to do some site seeing, visiting Pearl Harbor, Waikki Beach and doing some snorkeling. Mr. Searles thanked the Board for allowing the trip to happen and the opportunity to expand student’s horizons.
Kim Putman and Katrina Bretsch – UNICEF and Nutrition Education
Kim and Katrina shared information on a joint project they are working on with the UNICEF Kid Power Bands and Nutrition Education. The program empowers kids to get active, go on fun missions and provide lifesaving therapeutic food packets to kids in need. Katrina explained how the program works and is related to common core and STEM. Kim explained lessons she participates in teaching students how to read food labels, make healthy food choices and living a healthy lifestyle.
The Consent agenda was approved.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of March 13, 2017;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: JHCCF;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: JOC;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: None;
- BMCC Workforce Training Center – The ribbon cutting ceremony for the center will be April 27th from 4:00-6:00pm.
- Early Learning Childhood Center – The target date for completion is August 28th. IMESD and Head Start classes will all be in the building, opening up space at SBE for future growth.
- Boardman Recreation Center – The Rec Center is scheduled to open July 1st. There are flyers out and about that gives details about activities the center will offer.
- Recognition – Troy Morgan, Math Teacher at HJSHS recently received an EOU Inspirational Teacher award. He was nominated by Patrick Collins a former HJSHS student who is now attending EOU.
- Summer School – Summer school is quickly approaching. Heppner and Irrigon will host Summer School in June with Boardman hosting a Summer School program in August as a jump start to the 2017/18 school year.
- Budget – We are currently setting the District budget based on the state projection of 8.2 billion of overall state funding. The Budget Committee meeting will be before the Board meeting May 8th.
- Food Service RFP for 2017/18 – The District received state approval April 13th and the RFP was released April 14th. There will be a pre-proposal meeting April 21st and proposals are due May 25th. Final scoring of vendors and selection is planned for May 30th and a final award will be issued June 12th. All information regarding the RFP can be found on this website
- IKF-AR – Graduation Requirements – The Board approved changes to the IKF-AR. Changes are to the Standard Diploma, beginning with the Class of 2021, electives will be reduced from 7 to 5 with the addition of 2 credits of Career Pathways classes being required. Overall credits required will remain at 26 for a Standard diploma.
- IMESD Budget Committee – The Board approved Ryan Neal to serve on the IMESD Budget Committee with Barney Lindsay serving as an alternate.
- Resolutions #2016-17-12 & 13 – Unanticipated Revenues – The Board approved both resolutions for unanticipated revenue.
- OSBA Summer Board Conference – The 2017 Summer Board Conference will be held July 14-16, 2017 in Bend, OR.
- Teacher Appreciation Week – May 8-12, 2017
- Make-up Snow Days – April 14 & 28, 2017 for all schools, May 12, 2017 for North end schools only.
- Budget Committee Meeting – May 8, 2017, 5:30 pm – Heppner Elementary School
- Next Board Meeting – April 10, 2017 – Morrow Education Center