April - Board Brief
Chair Becky Kindle called the regular meeting of the MCSD Board of Directors to order on Monday, April 11, 2016, at Heppner Elementary in Heppner, OR.
MCEA – None; OSEA – Katie Goad
Kolby Currin - Heppner Jr/Sr High School Travel Request: Kolby requested permission from the board to represent MCSD at the FFA Leadership Conference this July in Washington DC. Kolby attended FFA State Convention at OSU during spring break where he learned about the convention. Kolby’s parents are supportive of his request to attend the convention. The board unanimously approved the request.
Mrs. Coiner – Heppner Elementary School Battle of the Books: Roen, Hannah and Jackson, students from Mrs. Coiner’s class presented a power point demonstrating and explaining what Battle of the Books is all about and how students participate. Mrs. Coiner and students gave up recess and lunch time to prepare for Battle of the Books.
The Consent agenda was approved as presented.
- Approved minutes of the regular meeting of March 14, 2016;
- Approved Financial Report, Enrollment Report, Employment Action;
- 1st Reading of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: GCDA/GDDA, IL;
- Adoption of Rescinded, New or Revised Policies: BBFA, BBFB, GBC, JEA, KG-FORM(1), KL;
- Adoption of New, Revised or Rescinded AR’s: KL(AR);
- Ratification of Contracts Reopener Language and Salaries
- DEQ – The district worked with DEQ and OSP to remove old, outdated chemicals from science labs throughout the district.
- District Newsletter – Information will be coming out in the newsletter regarding after school and summer school activities.
- ESSA Act – The ESSA act should give schools more flexibility and less mandates.
- Wrap Around Services – Things are going well with wrap around. We will be interviewing for the Early Childhood Care Coordinator soon.
- CTE – The district is moving forward with the revitalization grant. Next month board members will attend a walk around presentation and dinner at RJSHS
- Umatilla/Morrow Head Start – UMHS will make a presentation at the May board meeting regarding a partnership with MCSD and a pilot program that will service 4 year olds.
- District Math Contest – The math contest will be April 14th at Heppner Elementary School.
- Evacuation Drills – Mr. Dirksen explained the 5 types of drills the district has and practices. The Irrigon community recently had a situation that required Irrigon schools to go into a lockout (exterior doors locked with business as usual within the buildings). The lockout went smoothly and Mr. Dirksen thanked everyone involved for their efforts.
- Resolution #2015-16-07 – Unanticipated Revenue – The board approved the resolution.
- Resolution #2015-16-08 – Surplus Vehicles – The board approved the resolution.
- Math Adoption – Mr. Mendoza presented a power point, and CJ Johnson and Troy Morgan made a presentation to the board recommending Engage NY and Harcourt/Midland for approval as the district math curriculum. The board unanimously approved the math adoption.
- Teacher Appreciation Week May 2 - 6, 2016
- Budget Committee Meeting – HES May 10, 2016
- Save the Date - OSBA Summer Board Conference (Bend) July 15-17, 2016
- Board Work Session/Dinner/Tour – Riverside Jr/Sr High School May 9, 2016
- Next Board Meeting – Riverside Jr/Sr High School May 9, 2016
- Executive Session was cancelled.